Jan 7, 2011, 12:30 PM EST
Getting in trouble on Twitter: not just for American athletes anymore! Marvin Morgan, a striker for Aldershot Town (English League 2), was suspended, put on the transfer list and fined two weeks’ wages for tweeting to fans who booed him: “I hope you all die.”
Morgan was “booed off the pitch,” as they say over there, during a 2-1 loss to Hereford on Monday. Afterward he got into a testy exchange with fans on Twitter, which his club did not appreciate. From the London Daily Mail, via Deuce of Davenport:
Morgan responded to the crowd’s reaction by later posting a message on his blog saying: ‘Like to thank the fans who booed me off the pitch. Where’s that going to get you! I hope you all die.’
According to Aldershot, Morgan has expressed remorse, while the club branded the remarks ‘completely irresponsible’.
Morgan was signed to another team almost before he could pack. League 2 squad Dagenham & Redbridge signed him today.
Also from the Mail:
On a slightly more lighthearted note, England footballer Kevin Davies last year used Twitter to admit he keeps burning his Pop Tarts – and then asking fans for advice on how to use his toaster.
The Bolton Wanderers striker, 33, even posted a photograph of his ‘top of the range’ Dualit appliance and told his 25,400 followers: ‘Cannot believe i have burnt another pop tart!!’
Footballer suspended after telling booing fans on Twitter: ‘I hope you all die’ [London Daily Mail]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found