Jan 5, 2011, 10:02 AM EDT
It’s the dream of any man in America; except of course LeBron James. Ted Williams, the ex-radio announcer who as of Tuesday was homeless and panhandling on a freeway off-ramp, has been offered a full-time job with the Cleveland Cavaliers. On Tuesday we told you about Williams, who was spotted by a Columbus Dispatch reporter at a Columbus, OH intersection with his unique sign, offering to demonstrate his “God-given gift of voice” for cash. The reporter filmed the encounter, as Williams explained how he lost a professional radio career and ended up panhandling. Video below.
That led to a flurry of coverage on the ‘nets, including a mention on Countdown with Keith Olbermann, CNN and a visit to the CBS Early Show. Then, Columbus morning radio show Dave and Jimmy, on Clear Channel-owned WNCI, arranged for Williams to come in for an on-air interview. And that led to a flood of job offers.
Update from Ritchey’s channel, the YouTube user who first posted the video:
UPDATE-FINAL: Well everyone. You can give yourselves and Ted a high-five. He’s being given offers hand-over-fist over the air. He’ll be set for life.
My request to all. Whenever you run across a story such as this, don’t assume it’ll take a life of its own, on its own. It won’t. It can’t. There are too many other stories that drown out the one before it.
You need to spend time to get that story and its word out to many. If you care, you’ll do it.
Keep the faith, pay forward and always lend a hand; even if you’re the one who needs it.
God bless Mr. Williams. I’m sure we’ll be seeing more of him for sometime to come.
And, via The Score:
Williams has been offered a gig doing voice over work with the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Cavs have also bought him a house.
Whoa! Well played, Dan Gilbert.
Ted’s job offer from the Cavs is below, beginning at about the 4:30 mark:
The original video:
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- Play Video: An early whistle takes goal away from Kings
- Play Video: Spurs take a commanding 2-0 lead
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins comeback to win Game 3
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks even series with Kings