Dec 21, 2010, 1:28 PM EDT
The butt drag; effective wrestling move, or reason for MSNBC’s Chris Hansen to set up a sting? That’s the question circulating around Fresno, CA, at this hour, as Buchanan High School wrestler Preston Hill prepares to go on trial for sexual battery. Yep, sexual battery; for using a wrestling move that was taught to him, and supervised by, his own coaches. At least that’s the way it appears on the surface.
You may have already heard about this story, but chances are you haven’t seen the latest post on the Fresno Bee site. It contains possibly one of the greatest leads in the history of sports journalism. Behold:
In a crowded gym during practice in front of parents and coaches, the Buchanan High School wrestler tackled a teammate and executed a move his coaches taught him.
He inserted his fingers between the boy’s buttocks.
It’s called the “butt drag,” in which a wrestler grabs a rival’s butt cheek and puts fingers in the anus to get leverage. The move is widely used at matches around the country and has been around for decades.
But now it is at the center of an uproar after Buchanan High wrestler Preston Hill was expelled and charged with a sex crime for using it on a teammate.
This is the kind of trial that can captivate a nation; the type of spectacle for which Truman Capote would have flown in to take notes for a novel. Will Frank Deford show up? At the very least they should get Nancy Grace broadcasting from a media tent across the street from the courthouse.
Hill’s parents say that he was only using a move that his coaches taught him. Parents for the victim, who has not been named, say that Hill took it too far, so to speak, and did it because he is a bully.
More greatness from the Bee story:
The butt drag has been in the news before.
In 2007, a 17-year-old South Dakota high school wrestling champ was charged with rape and attempted rape after six wrestlers testified that he penetrated or tried to penetrate their anuses.
A lawyer for Jerome Hunt said he was employing a legitimate wrestling move called the butt drag, which is also known as “checking the oil.”
We’ll keep you posted.
Was Buchanan wrestler’s move an illegal act? [Fresno Bee]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Gronk has successful surgery
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'