Dec 16, 2010, 5:52 PM EDT
How great would hockey be if after every home goal, a rain of teddy bears cascaded onto the ice from the stands? No child anywhere would go without a toy (with the possible exception of New Jersey).
It was the 16th annual Petro-Canada Teddy Bear Toss with the Calgary Hitmen on Sunday, and the haul was 23,096 bears, which cascaded from the rafters following their first goal. Not bad, considering the crowd was just more than 16,000.
The next day, players were out at a local hospital to distribute the bears to those in need.
Trevor Grant said when his two-year-old son Easton was given a teddy bear, he had trouble fighting back his emotions. “(Easton has) had a rough life so it’s really neat to see this happen,” said Grant.
Easton’s mom, Jalene Grant, said they come to the hospital every week and having the Hitmen hand Easton a teddy bear made their day a little brighter. “It just puts a smile on their face, everything they have to go through. To be able to take five minutes and do that is pretty awesome.”
Calgary Hitmen Succeed With Annual ‘Teddy Bear Toss’ [Fanhouse]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Rask gives up gift goal
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks
- Play Video: Toews sees the box three times
- Play Video: Reason for optimism after Game 1 loss?
- Play Video: Highlights: Rangers stay alive with OT win