Dec 16, 2010, 10:02 AM EDT
It’s quite a trick to get sued over a LeBron James comedy bit, and not have LeBron being the one who’s suing you. Instead, Jimmy Kimmel and ABC are being served by orthodox Jewish rabbi Dovid Sondick, a YouTube sensation known as the “Flying Rabbi”, over a video segment that appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live (video after the jump).
TMZ recently released a photo in which LeBron was seen holding hands in prayer with South Florida-based Rabbi Yoshayahu Yosef Pinto, a spiritual leader of Kabbalah. Nice PR move there, I might add.
On his show recently, Kimmel made with the comedy by showing the LeBron photo, then saying that he’s had his own consultation with Rabbi Pinto. He then showed a clip of Rabbi Sondick — not the same guy — ranting at the window of Kimmel’s car. On the Red Carpet:
Sondick says he was made to “look foolish” and was presented as a “laughingstock” on Kimmel’s show. He added that he had suffered “embarrassment, loss of reputation, mental anguish and distress” as a result.
Sondick also says footage of himself was likely taken from YouTube, which hosts many amateur videos that show him chanting on the streets of New York. He says his voice, picture and likeness were falsely portrayed as being those of Pinto and added that the show made it appear as if he had agreed to participate in the production.
Here’s another version of the video in case the YouTube one is taken down.
Here’s the actual lawsuit (.pdf), in case you’re interested.
Yes, the lawsuit is stupid. But the most notable thing here is that, for once, LeBron is completely blameless.
So I guess the motto here is that one shouldn’t mix his Rabbis.
Jimmy Kimmel sued by YouTube’s ‘Flying Rabbi’ Dovid Sondik over LeBron James video joke [On The Red Carpet]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires