Dec 15, 2010, 11:37 AM EDT
Yep, Woodbury Nissan — located in New Jersey, just across the river from Philly — is likely to get a bit of backlash over its new commercial featuring Michael Vick. But if you think about it, it’s pretty smart. In handing Vick his first endorsement opportunity since going to The Big House for crimes against canine-kind, the dealership knew that it would draw national attention; or anyway, far more looks than if they had used Ross Gload.
In the video below, Woodbury Nissan uses an ESPN-type approach to show Vick as the new employee; a salesman who just wants to please. As a comedy bit it’s too long, and most of the jokes aren’t strong enough. There’s no one in a Tashard Choice Cowboys jersey asking him for an autograph, for instance; which would have been epic.
From USA TODAY:
Tom McMenamin, executive manager of the dealership, says it’s “100%” Vick’s first endorsement since his release from prison. McMenamin was “hesitant” at first that dog and animal lovers would go ballistic over using Vick. But the response from customers has been positive. “They love it. They love the spot,” he says. Now, that McMenamin has got Vick under contract he’ll offer the same deal to Cliff Lee of the Philadelphia Phillies.
Vick is not getting paid but he does get the free use of a customized Nissan Armada worth $54,000.
Of course when McMenamin says that customers “love the spot,” we have to believe him, because there’s no way a car salesman would lie, right? Also, in order to be a customer, you have to be on the lot. What about all the people who are staying away because of the commercial?
More importantly, is this the commercial that breaks the ice and lands Vick a bunch of other endorsements? Or is it an anomaly? Dogs buy cars too — or at least their owners do. My guess is that men are going to respond well to this ad, but women — who actually operate the purse strings — will stay away. Woodbury Nissan profits will stay even, and the only thing that gets hurt is the art of comedy.
Would you buy a car from ex-dogfighter Michael Vick? [USA Today]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires