Dec 14, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
The news just keeps getting better for Sepp Blatter and FIFA. Right on the heels of the FIFA chief’s unfortunately snide comment about gay sex at the World Cup, comes this series of tweets from Newsweek columnist and NBC News contributing correspondent Jonathan Alter, who writes that a “great source” says that some members of the World Cup Selection Committee were bribed $10 million each for their vote.
Hey, soccer fans: a great source says that most members of the FIFA World Cup Selection Com got a (legal) bribe of $10 million from Qatar.:
Soccer scandal: Brits, U.S. (Including Bill Clinton) wasted time going to Zurich to win World Cup. Fix was in for Qatar!!
Soccer scandal cont: Press in FIFA nations shld probe how FIFA members spend their new $10 million apiece. Qatar bribed way to victory.
Soccer scandal exclusive cont: That’s the inside word: Qatar paid $10m for each FIFA vote. Only reason it got World Cup. Who will probe?
While it’s already been reported that Qatar threw around a lot of money to get the Cup, the depth of the shenanigans has not. As far as I know, it’s not illegal to bribe a FIFA official — unless it’s with endangered parrots smuggled in your pants. But if this source turns out to be accurate, it could be the blow that places Blatter in the penalty box for good. This whole Russia/Qatar selection process has been a total mess, and unless FIFA wants 12 years of open warfare, it had better get into damage control right quick.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: An early whistle takes goal away from Kings
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: The Office's Baumgartner shows off his golf game
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins comeback to win Game 3
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview