Dec 1, 2010, 2:22 PM EDT
Think nothing amazing could ever come out of Ohio again? Well think again because they either have paper thin bowling pins to raise state confidence or they own a citizen who performed one of the craziest bowling feats in recent memory. Matt Latarski became only the 17th man to bowl a 900 in the history of bowling, though this statistic seems a bit suspect because I doubt they’re counting incidents where it happened with the bumpers up, my preferred way to smack the stones. Latarski rolled out a 900 over three rounds for his bowling squad, “Two Studs and an Old Guy” which consisted of himself, his brother and an ‘older friend’. I have a feeling that for the first time ever, 2/3rds of that moniker actually applied.
A 23-year-old Medina man bowled a history-making 900 series Sunday at Roseland Lanes in Oakwood. Matt Latarski said, “I couldn’t miss.” He rolled three consecutive perfect games, breaking his previous high score of 814 two years ago. Once the United States Bowling Congress verifies the score, Latarski will become the 17th person to roll a 900 in the history of bowling.
They attracted a crowd Sunday morning as they bowled the last frames of the third game. By the 10th frame, everyone else in building had stopped bowling, and Latarski was nervous. “You could have heard a pin drop,” he said.
Latarski will receive a ring for the 300 games and a solid-gold diamond ring for the 900 series.
My question is, what happened in the frame after the 900th pin dropped? Did he go all “Aliens from Space Jam” and lose all of his abilities in one fell swoop that resulted in a massive gutterball that made the ever growing crowd that was monitoring his performance give a sarcastic smirk as they turned their backs and walked away on the shining moment of Matt Latarski’s life as he dropped to his knees and howled a piercing, “NOOOOOOOOOOOO!” that sent chills down the spines of everybody who cared, which was probably around three? Yeah, it probably went a little like that.
Medina man bowls rare 900 series at lanes in Oakwood [Cleveland.com]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- NBA: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Lukas: 'I get paid to spoil dreams'
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks