Nov 29, 2010, 11:28 AM EST
When the Cornwall Mining League Division 1 soccer team Madron showed up for a match against league-leading Illogan recently with only seven players, everyone knew there could be trouble. And indeed, the short-handed side charged out and promptly lost, 55-0. (That’s one goal about every 100 seconds) So even though Madron didn’t have an experienced goalie, no one expected that. But Illogan still insisted they didn’t pour it on. Here’s the best soccer quotes of the year so far, from ThisIsCornwall.com:
Illogan assistant manager Mark Waters said: “We paid Madron a lot of respect and just got on with the game.
“We didn’t once send our keeper up as some teams do in these situations and there was no Micky taking.
“At the end of the day it was a league game, it was a waste of everybody’s time, including the referee’s, but we had to abide by the rules and play the game.
“I have nothing but admiration for their boys, they came into the bar afterwards and they were as good as gold.”
Madron’s goal differential is now a glittering -203.
Illogan’s next game is at FC Storm, which is somehow below Madron in the standings.
Great line from Who Ate All The Pies:
When Madron, one of the worst teams in Cornwall’s Mining League Division 1, played against league leaders Illogan Reserves recently, they had to make do with only seven players, and no recognised keeper, after several of their team dropped out before kick-off. Unprofessional -– Fergie would not stand for that s***.
Cornish non-league side loses 55-0 [Who Ate All The Pies]
55-0: Football result makes mockery of Mining Football League in Oxland Parc [This Is Cornwall]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found