Nov 2, 2010, 1:42 AM EDT
It was 10:57 p.m., about three hours following the completion of Game 5, when Leslie Nielsen leaned into the San Francisco dugout and said: “I just want to tell you all, good luck. We’re all counting on you.” I had mocked Bill Simmons and his Red Sox ilk for gross sentimentality in 2004 when Boston finally won a World Series. But now that I know how it feels — kind of like riding a shark with eyes that shoot lasers, and can fly — I take it all back. There are Giants fans dancing atop Muni cars in downtown San Francisco right now, and I don’t blame them a bit. Euphoria subsiding, wild-eyed glee now setting in. Pandemonium scheduled for early Tuesday. There is no more beautiful sight for a long-suffering baseball fan than a line of police officers with riot masks.
They’re saying that this title is for all the Giants greats that went before; for Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Sanford, Will Clark and Rod Beck. But it isn’t, really. This is for all the little guys; for Don Carrithers and Johnny LeMaster; Ray Sadecki, Dick Dietz and Mike Ivie. This is for the ugly ducklings. They can finally raise a championship banner above The Island of Misfit Toys. In truth this was a fool’s errand from the start; just how the Giants managed to land this plane is shrouded in mystery. But here they are, the plastic auto-pilot form of Bruce Bochy lying deflated on the floor of the cockpit, the passengers cheering a rough-but-non-fatal landing. (And sadly, Barry Zito sitting in a cab in the loading zone, with the meter running).
Now KTVU-TV is reporting that two bonfires have been set near Third & King. Bask in the civil disobedience, Giants fans. We’ve been out in the cold for so long.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Vlasic's untimely mistake