Oct 4, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
As a lifelong Giants fan I’ve been trying to think of a way to sum up Sunday night’s madness, but I really can’t do better than a commenter at the Giants blog McCovey Chronicles, who wrote:
We’re Anthony Michael Hall holding up Molly Ringwald’s panties for all to see.
For those not familiar with the classic scene from 16 Candles, all I can say is, go rent it. Then you’ll know how Giants fans are feeling this morning … I mean, besides hung over. The best quote, however, was definitely dealt by Tim Lincecum during the post-game celebration. When asked by Comcast Sports Net Bay Area reporter Mindi Bach if he was ready for his post-game champagne shower, Lincecum blurted on live TV: “F*** yeah!” Video here.
The Giants’ first playoff appearance since 2003 is special not because of all that blank calendar space between celebrations, but because of the way it was accomplished. To hear the Padres’ Mat Latos last week call San Francisco a bunch of mercenaries was laughable; the Giants’ midseason acquisitions were guys anyone could have had. SF’s two highest-paid players (Barry Zito, Aaron Rowand) probably won’t even be on the playoff roster; this isn’t the Yankees. This lineup wasn’t constructed with a Gucci shopping spree; it was pieced together with stuff found in the auto yard. Major League castoffs. Minor League fill-ins. Baby-faced youngsters. Chubby infielders. A guy who just had his appendix out. The Giants are one asthmatic kid with glasses from being a bad Disney sports movie.
And yet, this happened, on the final day of the regular season. On the anniversary of Bobby Thomson’s Shot Heard ‘Round the World, no less. And yes, I’ll say it: it’s their first NL West title since 1989 that hasn’t had that bitter steroid aftertaste. So yeah, this one’s for all the little guys. Those things you see waving over AT&T Park this morning are, in order: the American flag, the NL West division pennant, and Molly Ringwald’s panties. Or, maybe that’s Aubrey Huff’s thong. It’s kind of hard to see clearly from this distance.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed by being promoted to “Vice Admiral of the Narrow Seas” …
* It’s fun to stay at the Y … MCA! It’s fun to stay at the YMCA-ay! …
* Oh, and congrats to Bobby Cox and the Braves for winning the wild card.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found