Sep 30, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
As seen Wednesday night on HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumble, Artie the Artichoke was voted in as Scottsdale Community College’s official mascot in 1973, beating out “Rutabagas” and “Drovers” in a student election. Proud students then claimed that the fierce thistle-vegetable is the only mascot that can double on game day as a party dip.
Actually, the Fighting Artichokes were born because in 1972, the school opted to use funds for athletic scholarships instead of replacing some decrepit portable classrooms. So to tick off the athletic department, student activists voted in the artichoke as the sports mascot. In the intervening years, it has become a point of pride. In fact, the football team is known as the Chokes, and has that nickname written on their helmets.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while citing Lord Jesus Christ for trespassing …
* A phone number on boxes of OchocincO’s — Chad Ochocinco’s breakfast cereal — that is supposed to be for a children’s charity, is actually for a phone sex hotline.
* Headline of the day: Panic Erupts At Youth Football Practice When Cop Shoots Rabid Raccoon.
* Cardinals home game against Raiders got huge TV ratings on Sunday. Yay air conditioning!
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Making your camp between inexperienced hunters and unpredictable animals? Seems wise to me.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found