Craven Astros fan lets girlfriend get hit by foul ball

Aug 10, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT

Personally it’s no great surprise that a guy wearing a designer baseball cap backwards and sideways, and a lip ring, would totally bail on his girlfriend as a foul ball zoomed in their direction. But the Astros broadcast crew is sickened by this display (“Oh no! You have got to be kidding.”). First, multiple replays show the guy fleeing as the ball approaches, leaving his girlfriend to get smacked in the elbow by the hurtling missile. Then a sideline reporter shows up, and the excruciating inquiry begins. My guess: this relationship did not last the evening.
Video following the jump.

From MLB.com:

The woman, identified only as Sarah, was struck on the right arm by a foul ball off the bat of Chris Johnson in the fourth inning while sitting down the left-field line — a ball that she didn’t see coming because her boyfriend ducked out of the way at the last second.

“As soon as we got here and I saw where we were sitting, I said ‘Baby, we’re going to get hit,’” the woman said when interviewed during the game. “He said, ‘No, I’ll catch it if you do. We just had this conversation and sure enough, the ball comes at me. He just bailed.”

The boyfriend, named Bo, wound up retrieving the ball, but he had one of the oldest excuses in the book as to why he lost flight of the ball.

“The ball was coming up and I was going to catch it and it was in the lights and I lost track of it,” he said.

The best part is when the reporter gets to them, and begins relentlessly browbeating the boyfriend. If you watch closely, you can see Bo and Sarah’s relationship unraveling with each question. Reporter:

“We’re going to call him Bo the Bailer, because he bailed on Sarah. … Sarah, you knew the ball was coming your way when you got these seats. Where was your boyfriend? … It’s true Bo, you just left her. She has the seam marks on her elbow to prove it, and you were nowhere to be found. … The next time when a ball comes for her you should go toward your girlfriend to protect her. Don’t go the other way like a little chicken.”

Devastating takedown. Most crucial evidence of this man’s spinelessness: In the upper-right corner of the video is a small boy sitting on his mother’s lap, who did not abandon his mom when the ball approached.
astrosfankid01.jpg
***
Bo is no beau as girlfriend is hit by foul ball [MLB.com]

1. WTF - Aug 11, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Sooo…let’s get this straight.
    If the ball is coming straight towards him and hits him in the arm, and she gets out of the way, is she an idiot for not protecting him?
    Clearly, these two are not on the Dean’s List, so what’s the big deal? They both showed what they’re made of.

2. Scott Lewis - Aug 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Texans …lol Reminds me of that cowboy movie, Broke Back Mountain…

3. John Tate - Aug 11, 2010 at 1:24 PM

It’s easy to second-guess, but at the time I’m sure it happened really fast. He probably thought he could catch it bare-handed until he saw how fast it was coming. I’ve seen people at minor league games get whacked hard because the ball is moving a lot faster than it appears on TV.

4. John Tate - Aug 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM

In the video it’s obvious the girl just thought it was funny. She wasn’t mad about it. She probably saw the ball was coming too fast and there was no time to think about it.

5. Ben Vincent - Aug 11, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I doubt that he could tell exactly where it was going to go if he didn’t catch it. Looked to me more like he wasn’t sure of his catching abilities and stepped aside more to protect himself than he wanted the ball to hit someone else. Until it got close he probably didn’t realize how fast it was going. Paint him evil or cruel if anyone wants to but the only thing I see is a person ducking out of the way like most people do when something hard and fast is coming at them. The one thing different here is it wasn’t crowded around him and he had room to move.

6. Brad C - Aug 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Eric, his hat has everything to do with it. The cap isn’t intended to be worn that way. He’s trying to be “Joe Cool” and ends up looking like a schmuck. I am also guessing if he wears his hat like that, his pants also hang down around his knees. Also those seats are only 30 ft. from ground level, how in the world can a line drive foul ball get cought in lights that are mounted in the roof?? It wasn’t a pop foul. It was the lamest excuse the moron could come up with when he was put on the spot. Too bad he can’t be chemically neutered so he won’t procreate!!

7. fastmare - Aug 11, 2010 at 9:04 PM

She knew it was a dangerous place to sit-she should have been prepared. Is she really that pathetic she can’t fend for herself?
    If other people in the stands are staring in your direction and ducking for cover wouldn’t you be curious as to why that might be?
    Are these guys serious to blame the dude (even if he did vow to protect his princess) for moving out of the way instinctively? She’s fully capable…maybe just not very bright.

8. Mark - Aug 12, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Come on, give the kid a break. Seriously, you guys are going to make the kid hang himself. Yeah, he should have tried to protect his girlfriend, but when you have a baseball moving at you at high velocity your reflexes just kind of take over. He looked obviously embarrassed and for him to be publicly humiliated on national television and the internet isn’t right. Have some dignity people!

9. ------ - Aug 12, 2010 at 6:20 AM

10. B-baller - Aug 12, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Everyone who says the girl should have just moved out of the way must not know anything about sports. That pussy guy was in her line of sight, and she couldn’t see the ball. When he jumped out of the way at the last second, she didn’t have time to move.
    That babe is just way too hot to be dating a wuss like him.

11. Orioles Fan - Aug 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM

And YOU bozo are more of a COWARD since you didn’t even leave your name.

12. Orioles Fan - Aug 12, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I wonder in the aftermath of Bo bailing on Sarah, if Sarah pulled the ultimate bailout on Bo – good bye so-called boyfriend. You bailed on me, now I’m bailing on you.

13. Rick Chandler - Aug 12, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Sadly, yes. http://outofbounds.nbcsports.com/2010/08/astros-foul-ball-couple-break-up.html.php

14. Orioles Fan - Aug 12, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Ok folks, she really may have pulled the ultimate bailout – http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/12/earlyshow/main6766272.shtml?tag=strip

15. Orioles Fan - Aug 12, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Hey Rick, how did your comment be mine? Your’s wasn’t here when I entered mine.

16. thorsif - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I can’t believe the girl dumped him over this! I hope the poor guy doesn’t commit suicide.

17. Rick Chandler - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Internet hamsters chewing on the wires?

18. Orioles Fan - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:52 PM

There were comments from her in both the original Astros video and the CBS video she was taking the ultimate bailout.

19. LittleGazoo - Aug 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Dump the loser! He cared more for the baseball than her.

20. Mark - Aug 13, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Hey Orioles Fan, last time I checked you didn’t leave your name either. Unless, your name really is Orioles Fan, which I highly doubt. Stop being the pot that called the kettle black you hypocrite.

21. Melissa - Aug 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Oh yeah, because the chick can’t get up herself, that makes the boyfriend absolutely horrible.
    Dumbass.

22. doug - Oct 14, 2010 at 6:17 AM

wow you guys need to get over yourselves it’s a pretty low blow to call him spineless and what not he probably just wasn’t thinking. it’s not like he was cheating on her or anything. I am pretty sure I am sensing jealousy from many of you that he has ever been on a date.