Jun 27, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
Hey, wait a second. That trophy looks exactly like a…wow. Hoo boy, that ain’t right.
I have no idea which tournament thought it would be a good idea to hand out a phallic-shaped trophy at a women’s golf event or exactly when Miss Kerr’s lips met trophy and became part of internet infamy, but there you have it.
Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view), the non-phallic-shaped trophy presented to the winner of the LPGA Championship does not provide the possibility for unintentional, awkward hilarity like the trophy to the right. Nevertheless, Kerr, instead of a final round fraught with tension will likely be taking a leisurely stroll around the course in a coronation of a champion. She currently leads the LPGA Championship by a whopping eight strokes with a 13-under 203 score after three rounds. It is the largest lead heading into the final round of the LPGA Championship since 1961, so barring a colossal meltdown by Kerr, the hoisting of the trophy at the end of her round seems to be a foregone conclusion. From an AP report on NBC Sports:
“I can sit here and say, `Give me the trophy now.’ But it’s not going to happen,” Kerr said after shooting a 69 Saturday. “I’ve got one more round of golf to play. There’s one reason I’m sitting here and so far ahead at this point is because of the attitude I’m bringing.”
Heh. “Give me the trophy now.” Coming from Kerr, that is definitely a quote that can be easily taken out of context. Giggity.
Kerr up by 8 after 3rd round at LPGA Championship [NBC Sports/AP]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found