May 7, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
I haven’t decided if this is highly comical or completely stupid, so you’re just going to have to view the video and decide for yourself. As we told you on Wednesday, it was Will Ferrell Appearance night for the Pacific Coast League Round Rock Express on Thursday, where Ferrell broke out a new character; legendary Venezuelan pitching star Billy Ray “Rojo” Johnson. He was described thusly:
Not much is known about “Rojo,” though the announcers were able to shed a little light: he spent four years in prison for dealing iguanas and other lizards.
Ferrell, as Rojo, threw a pitch during the actual game; with the delivery sailing behind the Nashville Sounds hitter, resulting in Rojo being ejected. That led to the scene you see pictured above. Funniest part: Somewhere during the chase, Ferrell lost his elaborate mustache.
Video following the jump.
Ferrell was in the area to host today’s inaugural Will Powered Golf Classic charity golf tournament at the nearby Cimarron Hills Country Club in Georgetown, Texas. From MLB.com’s Danny Wild:
Johnson also appeared to have taken a bag of beer cans with him to the mound.
“Mentally, I feel like I have the strength of 10 men, after that,” Johnson, who ripped off his mustache during the on-field chase, told reporters in a postgame press conference.
“Nashville showed a lot of stuff tonight,” he added. “They’ve got a lot of moxie.”
Fun fact: The headlock pummeling which “Rojo” metes out in the video is a tribute to the Express’ principal owner, Nolan Ryan.
The Express humorously released a press release on their web site on Tuesday, announcing that they had acquired Johnson, but making no mention that he was in fact Ferrell in disguise. This led to several commenters registering their disgust at the ploy.
Will Ferrell Dazzles As “Rojo” Johnson, Mustachio’d Minor League Pitcher [Huffington Post]
Boozin’, Brawlin’, Blingin’: Rojo Takes Round Rock [Ben's Biz]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million