Apr 10, 2010, 3:00 PM EST
I just blew your mind with that headline, didn’t I? Thought so.
Before the Washington Capitals were to accept the President’s Trophy for having the NHL’s best regular season record after the game, Alexander Ovechkin had some business to attend to:
1) Reach the 50-goal plateau for the fourth time in his first five seasons (only Mike Bossy and Wayne Gretzky have previously accomplished that remarkable achievement); and
2) Move past that punk Sidney Crosby for the league lead in goals (note: I’m not terribly fond of that Sidney Crosby fellow).
Yeah, he accomplished both, in spectacular fashion. The guy is a beast, there’s no other way to put it.
Ovie scored two goals, his 49th and 50th, in the Caps’ 5-2 win over the Atlanta Thrashers, putting him one goal ahead of the aforementioned Sidney Crosby for the league lead.
Via the AP:
This season’s No. 50 broke a 2-2 tie and came at the 9:49 mark of the third period. Ovechkin took a pass from Alexander Semin and, while moving to his right, snapped a wrist shot past goalie Ondrej Pavelec.
Ovechkin raised his fists, then slammed back-first into the glass and was mobbed by teammates while fans began chanting “M-V-P!” Skating over to the bench, Ovechkin paused to glance up and watch a replay of his goal on the overhead videoboard.
Let’s take a look at Ovie’s two goals, just for kicks.
One for the money:
Two for the show:
Fantastic. Whenever Ovechkin is on the ice, you cannot help but fixate on him. Another player on a shift could be skating around with his head on fire and I wouldn’t even notice it. You never know what he is going to do, but you do know it might be something you have never seen before.
Incidentally, the Washington Capitals are taking on Boston Bruins Sunday at 12:00 ET. Every Out of Bounds reader should make it a point to watch. And wouldn’t you know it, the game is being carried by none other than NBC. What a fortuitous kwinky-dink.
Ovechkin passes Crosby, first to reach 50 goals [NBC Sports/AP]
NHL on NBC schedule for the 2009-10 season [NBC Sports]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found