Mar 26, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Alex Hermann, the 17-year-old Chicago resident who caused an Interwebs sensation with a seemingly perfect bracket through two full rounds of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, has proven to be human after all. The kid who saw Northern Iowa-Kansas and Ohio University-Georgetown coming a mile away could not predict Butler’s 63-59 win over Syracuse on Thursday, ending his skein of perfection and putting his NCAA picks record at a paltry 51-1.
Here is his Bracket of No Longer Perfect.
Meanwhille, my three pool brackets have requested federal bailout money, claiming that they are “too big to fail.”
Conspiracy theorists are sharpening their talons at this hour, as Hermann lost a game on the first day of games since his so-called perfect bracket was brought to the attention lf the public. Some claimed shenanigans when NBC Chicago ran its story on his 48-0 start after two rounds, noting that the contest he entered, CBS Bracket Manager, allows you to change picks after the tournament has started. Hermann’s mother and older brother, however, deny that any bracket tampering took place.
It all ended on Thursday night in the West Regional Round of 16, as top-seeded Syracuse sputtered in the second half and lost to No. 5 Butler, 63-59. Hermann correctly picked Kansas State’s double overtime win over Xavier, West Virginia over Washington and Kentucky over Cornell. All were favorites.
Is this the NCAA Tournament version of finding the Balloon Boy in the attic? We’ll probably never know. It just brings to mind the Ricky Gervais bit about taking an autistic teen to a casino so he can win money at blackjack. After losing several hands, Ricky throws some toothpicks on the floor to see if the kid can count them. The kid has no idea how many there are.
“There’s seven!” screams an exasperated Gervais. “I can see myself that there’s seven!”
Tonight, Alex likes Northern Iowa, Purdue, Tennessee and Baylor. Good news for Duke fans?
Autistic kid’s perfect NCAA tourney bracket: The new Balloon Boy hoax? [Out of Bounds]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights