Mar 25, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
Susan Finkelstein, as you may recall, is the woman accused of being so desperate to see her Phillies play the Yankees in the World Series that she allegedly advertised sexual favors on Craigslist to anyone who would give her tickets. Well, her trial in Bucks County, Pa., is wrapping up today, so I thought I’d give you highlights of the proceedings so far.
Finkelstein’s attorney is William J. Brennan, who back in January invented the precedent-shattering “slut defense.” Now his strategy seems to have shifted to the “Phillies Suck” defense. Here’s a hilarious exchange from Wednesday:
Brennan said Finkelstein’s only business had been to get herself into the stadium to watch the Fightin’s play the Yanks.
“If a prostitute deals only in Phillies World Series tickets, her shelf life is about as long as Halley’s Comet,” Brennan told the jury.
Noting the Phillies’ historical futility in getting to the Fall Classic, he added: “If she is in the business, is she just open in the Octobers when we have a World Series? That business is not going to be open very often.”
More from the Philadelphia Inquirer:
Finkelstein arrived in court with her husband. Her conservative black pantsuit was a sartorial about-face from her appearance in a leopard suit last month at the Wing Bowl.
After seeing the Craigslist ad, police set up a meeting with Finkelstein at Manny Brown’s, a restaurant at the Neshaminy Mall in Bensalem, where officer Michael Brady met her, pretending to be a man interested in trading tickets for sex.
Noting Brady’s youthful appearance, Finkelstein “mentioned that she was a cougar, and I could be her cub,” the officer said. She offered to have sex with his brother, too, in return for the brother’s ticket, Brady said.
“You’ve never had a prostitution case where the alleged prostitute asked for a second ticket for her husband, have you?” Brennan asked.
“No, I haven’t,” Brady said.
Free Susan Finkelstein? I think that the Tea Party activists should now redirect their efforts toward this case.
Susan Finkelstein’s ‘Sex For World Series Tickets’ Trial As Comical As Expected [Sportress of Blogitude]
Lawyer for ‘sex for World Series tickets’ gal busts out the little-used ‘my client is a slut’ defense [Out of Bounds]
Sex for tickets case ready to conclude today [Philadelphia Inquirer]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million