Mar 25, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
Let the record show that Urban Meyer is officially losing it. We kind of suspected mental instability with his recent retirement, un-retirement mambo, but now the University of Florida coach (?) is going after reporters for, what, quoting his players correctly?
Meyer threatened Orlando Sentinel beat reporter Jeremy Fowler Wednesday evening after practice because of Fowler’s quote of wide receiver Deonte Thompson earlier in the week. The one in which Thompson said that Tim Tebow wasn’t a “real quarterback.” Here’s some backstory on that, plus video of the confrontation. The Sentinel’s Mike Bianchi picks up the story from there.
“You’re a bad guy, man. You’re a bad guy,” Meyer said, pointing a finger at Fowler’s face. “If that (Thompson) was my son, we’d be going at it right now. … You’ll be out of practice — you understand that? — if you do that again. I told you five years ago: Don’t mess with our players. Don’t do it. You did it. You do it one more time and the Orlando Sentinel’s not welcome here ever again. Is that clear?”
And Meyer had the audacity to call a reporter “a bad guy?” Really? Seriously?
I always thought a bad guy was someone who breaks the law or commits crimes. You know, like many of the recruits Meyer has brought onto UF’s campus — recruits who have been arrested nearly 30 times since the coach arrived five years ago.
Well played, Bianchi. But be careful, we don’t want Meyer resigning over this. I don’t think we can stand another Favre-esque drama like the last one.
Well, if it isn’t my old friend Thursday! How goes it, old chap?
ABOUT LAST NIGHT …
What you missed while getting a double-word score …
* Jose Canseco wants his own talk show? If only we had known that before this whole Leno-Conan mess!
* Tebow denies the whole Wonderlic-prayer story. I guess only God knows for sure.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Mark Trail is officially the weirdest comic strip ever produced.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found