Mar 25, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Things suddenly got very interesting in Brazilian soccer this week. First, chaos reigned in a lower division match as a player was red-carded and sent off, but refused to go. So, flipping through my referee’s manual here, I see that you are supposed to then … call in the riot police and douse the guy with pepper spray. And make sure, by the way, you use enough pepper spray to keep the enite field free of insects for a week (see photo).
Video following the jump.
Also following the jump: Ronaldo has a special message for his fans.
From Unprofessional Foul:
The match had to be suspended and a replay ordered. But the folks at Genus doesn’t seem interested, and are particularly angered by the police reaction. They are declining the replay, despite trailing 3-0 at the time; and the manager and seven of the players, including the cardee, have resigned because of the spraying.
Oh South America, your crazy never disappoints.
Meanwhile, Ronaldo had to apologize today for flipping off his own Corinthian fans who were a bit peeved over their upset loss to Paulista in the Sao Paulo state championship on Wednesday. From AP:
Local media said about 30 fans cursed and shouted at the striker as he was about to enter a car to leave the Arena Barueri. Some called him fat.
Ha. The apology:
“I would never make a gesture like that to Corinthians fans, who have adopted me and supported me since my arrival,” Ronaldo said. “I want to apologize if any Corinthians fans felt offended and (I want to) reiterate my admiration for them.”
Makes no sense. But then it’s Ronoldo. That’s your Brazil soccer roundup for today.
SASIC: The One Where Brazilian Police Experiment with New Methods of Player Control [Unprofessional Foul]
Ronaldo makes obscene gesture after loss in Brazil [MLive]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games