Mar 24, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Usually I consider NCAA bracket-style tournaments for other things — hot chicks, pets, etc. — as played-out gimmicks. Unless it’s this. The Name of the Year bracket is out, and I have to say that this is probably the deepest field in the tournament’s rich history. I thought it would be tough to beat last year’s winner, Barkevious Mingo, but there are several fine prospects in 2010. Begun in 1994 as an offshoot of a game the authors played while attending college, Name of the Year has grown into a cultural institution.
But I don’t care about its history. I just want to know how Dick Smallberries Jr. is only a No. 3 seed in the Sithole Regional. Outrageous!
Complete 64-name ballot following the jump.
Here’s the complete 2010 Name of the Year ballot.
In case you’re wondering how this works, the matchups are determined by reader votes. Go to the Name of the Year blog and vote for your favorite in each first-round matchup, then check back later in the week for the winners, and the second-round voting. These are all real names; any who are found to be fake or merely nicknames are dropped from the tourney. More fun than the men’s NIT, I can assure you.
The Sithole Regional looks very tough, with intriguing first-round matchups including sixth-seed Napolean Einstein vs. 11th-seed Banana Yaya, and No. 5 Coke Wisdom O’Neal vs. No. 12 Typhoon Nurse. In the Bulltron Regional, No. 10 Dr. Speedy Nutz takes on No. 7 Two Willis. And in the Dragonwagon Regional, we have a potential upset with No. 11 Pepi Hamburger meeting No. 6 Aristotle Socrates.
In the Bulltron Regional, Top seed Nohjay Nimpson figured to have no trouble with No. 16 Lolita Respectnothing, but one never knows.
Now, get over to the site and vote.
Your 2010 Name of the Year ballot [Name of the Year]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery