Trans-Atlantic rowing fail; men row 2,499 miles, need 2,500

Mar 23, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT

“We did it, Marge! We rowed 2,500 miles across the Atlantic, and beat that jerk Flanders. Now all we have to do is cruise the remaining few feet to shore, and …”
“Dad! Look out for that coral reef!”
“Doh!”
It must suck to spend three months rowing across the ocean in a trans-Atlantic race, only to be disqualified less than a mile from the finish line for hitting a reef and having to be rescued. Such was the destiny of Phil Pring and Ben Cummings, who had been at sea for 76 days, only to be disqualified from the Canaries to the West Indies race after they ran aground.

The London Daily Mail has the tragic details:

The pair, members of Zennor Gig Club, were picked up by authorities after the incident near the Caribbean island of Antigua on Sunday.

The men were taking part in the Atlantic Rowing Race in their boat Vision Of Cornwall and were in 15th place when they hit the reef.

Falmouth Coastguard said that the two friends, who were raising money for the Cornwall Blind Association, were safe and well.

A spokesman said: ‘The boat passed over a first reef and narrowly avoided capsizing but despite the efforts of the guys to row clear the breaking surf rolled the vessel which became trapped on the reef.

Couldn’t they break off a large piece of the boat and paddle it across the finish line? Ride in on friendly dolphins? Something? I wouldn’t waste three freaking months without getting creative.
***
Atlantic rowing pair crash into reef ONE MILE from finish after racing 2,500 miles [London Daily Mail]

1. BC - Mar 23, 2010 at 4:45 PM

EPIC FAIL!!! PWNED!!!

2. jm - Mar 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM

such a fail, its like that ny marathon runner who “losy his breath” after finishing in like an hour and a half and he fell to the ground he was 1/4 mile away

3. buster - Mar 24, 2010 at 12:04 AM

jm, you think you could learn to use some [i]punctuation[/i]? how about [i]spell check[/i]? you’re post is “lousy” because I “lost” the point you were trying to make!

4. buster - Mar 24, 2010 at 12:06 AM

OK, ‘FAIL’ to this page, for noting HTML tags can be used, then those tags not working!

5. jw - Mar 24, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Buster, you should probably check your own grammar if you are going to point out the mistakes of others. It should be “your post,” not “you’re post.”

6. crazywow - Mar 24, 2010 at 12:25 AM

I find it really amusing and ironic that these two were raising money for the blind…..makes me question whether or not they were blind as well?

7. TheAbyss24 - Mar 24, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Oh man. How much do any of you want to bet that those two men are at the bottom of their 7th or 8th glass of the strongest drink the Indies have to offer.

8. ripburger - Mar 24, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Buster is a FAG!!!

9. pj - Mar 24, 2010 at 7:59 AM

wow that sux id be sooo pissed off

10. Dale Koven - Mar 24, 2010 at 9:33 AM

These two are still winners in my book! I can’t even fathom the amount of work and dedication they needed to row just one day, let alone 76! Where do i send my donation to?

11. Debbie Henshaw - Mar 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Hi Dale
    Thanks for that Phil and Skippy are hero’s and we think they are really amazing Cornwall Blind Asscociation are so proud of them and their efforts in rowing for over 76days
    you can donate direct to the Charity on http://www.cornwallblind.org.uk/ the donate now button
    post to Cornwall Blind Association
    Sight Centre, Newham Road, Truro TR1 2DP please make your cheque payable to Cornwall Blind Association and mark the cheque in the top right vision of Cornwall
    alternatively

12. Bam - Mar 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM

LMAO! I was thinking the same thing. Ppl make me sick! LOL!

13. Bill - Mar 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM

To fail is to have not tried. If it were a 2500 mile run they were 99.96% successful. I’d be very happy if all my endeavors went as well. If from habit, you only look at complete or not, your choose a different goal – they were not in first place and if their goal was to raise funds for the blind, that may have been achieved when they set the boat in the water. After rowing 2499 miles and I could see land, hit something with the bottom of my boat.- I very well might judge my rowing done. Its a technicality that the corral was not deemed not part of the Island.
    I wonder how someone whittles 2 months out of their life for anything even so noble as a benefit race. If they raised more than their combined two months salary in the effort, that might be reasonable.

14. HTMLGuy - Mar 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Curious about the use of HTML tags. They consist of angle brackets not square brackets. If HTML (in first sentence) is not bold, then tags did not work.

15. captain obvious - Mar 24, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Wow, buster.
    Not only did you FAIL at bashing someone for their grammar (you’re? Really?), but you also incorrectly used forum formatting tags instead of HTML And then blamed the website… God…

16. I Hate Buster - Mar 24, 2010 at 4:12 PM

HAHAHAHAHA

17. Get the facts right - Mar 24, 2010 at 7:50 PM

PHIL AND SKIPPY DID NOT FAIL.
    THEY DIDN’T REACH THE WOODVALE FINISH LINE BUT THEY ROWED ACROSS THE ATLANTIC WHICH IS OFFICIALLY RECOGNISED BY THE AUTHORITIES.
    ITS NOT LIKE THEY DIDN’T GET TO LAND IT WAS ANTIGUA’S REEF THEY HIT!!

18. buster - Mar 24, 2010 at 8:08 PM

ripburger, are you looking for a buddy? come kiss me.

19. david - Mar 30, 2010 at 11:27 AM

The boys did good. Giving time and effort for charity. Agree running to ground in Antiguan waters is land fall.Not many can claim to have rowed the atalntic or even rowed for 24 hours let alone 70+days.
    Its a shame that some comments are not about their endeavour but a puerile personal dialogue.