Mar 22, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
Just as VIto Corleone took the name of his home town in Italy and made it infamous in the U.S., a baseball team from Italy did just the reverse, naming themselves after their mentor and idol, former Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda. Make no mistake; playing for the Tom Lasordas carries with it an awesome responsibility. First, there’s all the porn you have to keep up on. You have to swear like a stevedore, even though there are probably Catholic priests in the crowd. And it’s hard to run the bases after a pregame meal of scarole and beans, hot peppers and sausage. But you do it for the team.
Lasorda sends this Twitpic with the caption: Twitpic of the Day: This team from Tollo, Italy named themselves after me. I worked with them in ’85.
They’ve replaced a few players since then, I hope.
Lasorda says that his father was born in Tollo, which is why the visit, I assume.
Tommy Lasorda Twitpic
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead