Mar 17, 2010, 9:00 PM EST
So here’s Stephen Wesley, 43, who was arrested on Tuesday for organizing student ‘fight clubs’ at a ranch for probationary teens in San Fernando, near Los Angeles. That’s quite a mug shot pose for someone who is up on six counts of child endangerment — allegedly recorded by a security camera — and is being held in county lockup on a $600,000 bond, according to the Los Angeles Times. Hey, some ladies might be reading this.
“This individual was supposed to create a safe environment for probationers and he was allowing them to engage in overt violent acts,” Steve Whitmore, a sheriff’s spokesman, said. “He not only allowed the fights to take place, he set the ground rules.”
Wesley’s arrest stems from actions that Whitmore said were recorded Aug. 8, 2008, at Camp Karl Holton in San Fernando, one of 21 juvenile probation camps and halls.
Whitmore said Wesley can be seen and heard on the security footage organizing five bouts between rival gang members in response to an argument that began that morning between two students over gangs.
Wesley told students where and how long to fight, and instructed them to avoid blows to the face that would leave signs of injuries, Whitmore said.
As egregious as this is, it’s still only my second favorite student fight club story of the year so far. A teacher from Queens was nabbed organizing a fight club for fourth-graders — in the middle of his classroom — in February. His mug shot could not touch this one, however.
Former probation camp teacher held in fight probe [Los Angeles Times]
What goes on in fourth-grade fight club, stays … well, you know the rest [Out Of Bounds]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found