Mar 16, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Now it can be told: Manny Pacquiao didn’t beat Joshua Clottey on Saturday; it was the Banku and Okro stew. In an excuse to rival the fabled George Foreman tainted water bottle and the Roberto Duran “No Mas” bad clams defense, Clottey said that a bowl of bad stew caused stomach distress so foul that he was “not in the right frame of mind” when losing to Pacquiao.
Speaking to Joy News, the 32 year old Ghanaian boxer said he suspected an ingredient used in preparing local Ghanaian dish- Banku and Okro stew he ordered to be prepared for him to eat as possible cause for the diarrhea.
“When I ate after the weighing I was ‘running’; the midnight I went to toilet almost like four times; in the morning I went to toilet almost like three times; when we went to the dressing room I went to toilet like three times,” he explained.
Clottey will take more heat for this excuse than for the actual fight, I’d reckon. But when you consider this fight analysis from Bad Left Hook, isn’t it possible that Clottey was, indeed, in some sort of physical distress?
It’s not just that Clottey was “boring.” His cover-up game was so drastic that it has led people to believe he was indifferent about whether or not he won, that he “didn’t come to win,” which is, when you break it down, essentially saying he all but threw the fight. If he wasn’t trying to win, what kind of contest is that?
Please note I’m not accusing Clottey of actually throwing the fight. But that is pretty much how a lot of people see it. He wasn’t there being a competitor. He was existing, doing all he could to not get knocked out, and cashing a paycheck.
But even if it’s true, it’s Clottey’s own fault, says The Boxing Truth.
It’s quite amusing that a fighter who obviously dehydrates himself to make the welterweight limit blames his case of the s—– on some Banku and Okro stew.
One of the side effects of severe dehydration is diarrhea for those of you that don’t know.
If the movie Cinderella Man taught us anything, it’s that you should always fight hungry.
Joshua Clottey Blames His Performance On Bad Stew And Diarrhea, Demonstrating How To Go From Disappointing To A Joke [The Queensberry Rules]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million