Mar 15, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Sadly, this year’s NCAA Div. I Men’s Tournament field does not figure to be as formidable as the monster of Greek myth. Our defending champion, North Carolina, isn’t even there; preferring to grace the NIT with its 16-16 record, along with UConn, Illinois, Arizona State and Mississippi State. But what does it say of the overall strength of the NCAA tourney field that a No. 1 seed, Kentucky, needed overtime to beat Mississippi State in the Southeastern Conference championship game? What it says is that this is probably not the time to be thinking of expanding the NCAA field to 96 teams. There’s enough of a problem just finding 65. ESPN’s Jay Bilas assessing the field last night: “This is the weakest at-large field in the history of the tournament. If you can’t make it this year, you probably can’t really play.”
Here are your brackets. Needless to say I’ve got everything riding on Lehigh … let the office pool begin!
Tomorrow we’ll have a foolproof way for you to win your pool. But right now I’m too bummed about the passing of Captain Ouver, Peter Graves. Today, we all like movies about gladiators.
Wait a minute! I think that’s Monday’s intro music!
ABOUT LAST NIGHT …
What you missed while demanding a recount on behalf of San Francisco …
* Let us not forget the greatest Peter Graves movie of them all.
* Well, this should kill the throwback uni craze.
* Orlando Magic’s new arena includes a $10,000 conference table, at taxpayer expense.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Anyone notice that Buzz’s hair has turned white?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found