Mar 15, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
The good folks at Waggle Room won me over quite some time ago: They run one of the best golf blogs — if not the best — on the Intrawebs. Case in point is this story shared therein by Ryan Ballengee. It involves Ben Roethlisberger, whom I am quickly learning to detest, and one of the greatest golfers ever. I enjoyed it immensely.
This story was told to me just a few days ago from a very credible source.
The Steelers have their training camp in Latrobe, PA — a town absolutely owned by Arnold Palmer. Near the training camp is Laurel Valley golf club. It has hosted several major championships and is a big deal club in the area. Ben Roethlisberger came by during training camp one summer and said he wanted to get on the course to play. The pro shop said that they would accommodate him but that members that had tee times would go ahead of him and they would work him on.
So, Ben looks around the pro shop and starts buying up stuff. Makes his purchases, then disappears to the first tee. He’s teeing off out of turn. The pro shop wrangles him down in the first fairway and demands that he return to the clubhouse to wait his turn to play. Eventually, he gets to go off. He runs into a bunch of people who naturally want his autograph. He says no to all of them. Doesn’t want to be nice to the people letting him play their exclusive track.
When he’s done with the round, Ben goes into the locker room in the clubhouse. He takes a shower and comes out, when a man comes up to him and tells him, “What you are going to do right now is go into the pro shop and sign autographs for every single person who wants them, and then you will never come back here again.”
The man who told him that? Arnold Palmer.
How Arnie Palmer Put Ben Roethlisberger in His Place [Waggle Room]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team