Mar 12, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Mike Leach, possibly the only coach ever fired for placing a player in a shed, is scheduled to give a deposition today in Lubbock as part of his wrongful termination lawsuit against Texas Tech, stemming from his firing in Dec. of last year. In honor of that, I suppose, Orange Bloods has found a couple of videos of Leach locker room rants, one in particular which I found interesting. In it, he tells “Some of you God Squad guys” that praying is okay, but that God wants them to concentrate on defense.
“If you’re not doing that, you guys who are throwing the book around all the time, you’re defying the book.”
Video following the jump.
I’m not an expert on the Bible, so I don’t know what God thought of man coverage. My assumption is that he preferred zone. But a recent, unearthed relic does reveal that Jesus only played offense.
The Leach video clips were obtained under the Texas Open Records Act, and despite some salty language are actually rather mild when compared to other coaches one can think of. They probably wouldn’t even move the needle on the Bobby Knight meter. But it’s interesting to see a Texas football coach kind of on the outside looking in when it comes to praying and using the Bible for motivation. “You God Squad guys” is probably not a term heard by many Texas athletes. Leach, by the way, was raised as a Mormon.
The other video clips can be found here.
“What does God say? ‘If you’re lukewarm, I’ll spew you out,’” Leach says. “If you’re a defensive player, I don’t need one side of the brain on playing defense and one side thinking, ‘Oh gee, I wonder, this. I wonder that. I wonder the other thing.’ No, no. Screw that.
“Your whole head’s got to be on defense. Your whole head has to be on offense. Your whole head for that play has to be on special teams. If you’re not doing that, you guys who are throwing the book around all the time, you’re defying the book.”
The timing of the videos’ release is probably not coincidental. Leach’s attorneys questioned Texas Tech Chancellor Kent Hance on Thursday, and Adam James, the infamous player in the shed, and his father, ESPN’s Craig James, are scheduled to give statements on Saturday, according to the Dallas Morning News.
Not sure how these videos could impact anything, but it’s curious that they are being released now.
Leach, by the way, has possibly the greatest Wikipedia paragraph ever: Leach spends time during each off-season learning as much as he can about various things that interest him. Aside from pirates, he has researched topics such as Native American leader Geronimo, American pioneer Daniel Boone, grizzly bears, chimpanzees, whales, and American artist Jackson Pollock.
Videos: Mike Leach Locker Room Rants Released [SportsbyBrooks]
Video shows Mike Leach behind closed doors at Texas Tech [Orange Bloods]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million