Mar 12, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Yep, that is a bit jarring: It was during Ken Griffey Jr.’s first go-round with the Mariners, and he talks about it over at Big League Stew. Ah, those were the days; when the only performance enhancing drugs were tonics supplied by Mr. Burns, and gave you gigantism. Fun fact: the episode, Homer at Bat, was No. 17 of the third season, and was the first to beat The Cosby Show in the ratings; a development that Bill did not take very well. Can you name all nine of Mr. Burns softball ringers? (Answer following the jump).
Okay, here’s another one: Jose Canseco. Hilariously, he was the only one who gave the Simpsons producers trouble during production of the episode. Reportedly he was supposed to wake up next to Mrs. Crabapple and realize he was late for the big game, but his wife objected (ha). Also he complained that his depiction looked nothing like him.
The episode also saved at least two lives. From Wikipedia: During the scene in which Homer chokes on a donut, a poster explaining how the Heimlich Maneuver works is on the wall behind him. In May 1992, Chris Bencze was able to save his brother’s life by performing the Heimlich Maneuver on him, having seen it in the episode, and in December 2007 Aiden Bateman was able to save his friend Alex Hardy’s life by recalling the same.
My name’s Friday. I carry a badge.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT …
What you missed while sharpening your meat thermometer …
* Nets can’t win a game, so will try for an Oscar.
* T.O. to the Raiders? I think if we all chip in, we can make this happen.
* Answer: Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs, Ken Griffey, Jr., Steve Sax, Ozzie Smith, Jose Canseco, Don Mattingly, Darryl Strawberry and Mike Scioscia. (Ryne Sandberg and Carlton Fisk turned down requests to appear).
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Tornado danger signs also include flying cars and the sudden appearance of munchkins.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom