Mar 7, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
Gah! I have seen a lot of public gaffes in my life, and I have to say that without a doubt, Alabama head coach Nick Saban referring to Auburn University as the University of Auburn is one of the most egregious displays of institutional arrogance I have ever witnessed and the misdeed will not only follow Saban around for a long time, it may in fact haunt him forever.
Bully for you, Nick Saban. Bully.
Video of Saban’s horrific error after the jump. But I must warn you, it’s not for the squeamish.
Saban was accepting the Foy-ODK Sportsmanship trophy for Alabama’s 26-21 victory in the Iron Bowl last season during halftime to the Auburn-Alabama basketball game on Saturday in Tuscaloosa when he made the error. The Iron Bowl is the annual matchup between the University of Alabama’s and the University of…I mean Auburn University and the games usually typify the intense rivalry and borderline hatred that exists between the two schools.
After thanking the Alabama fans at Coleman Coliseum, Saban took a moment to pay respect to the “University of Auburn.”
Awk-ward. What an utter show of disrespect on Saban’s part.
Of course, it should be abundantly obvious that my criticism of Saban regarding his minor error is clearly tongue-in-cheek, but I can guarantee that Auburn fans will not take this in stride or with any semblance of a sense of humor. They take this kind of stuff seriously down there and to them, this is an unforgivable offense. And one way or another, they will get their revenge. I would suggest having their football coach, Gene Chizik, refer to their rival school as Alabama University. That’ll learn ‘em.
Saban gets rival Auburn’s name wrong [SI/AP]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found