Mar 7, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
As with any major sporting event (i.e. Super Bowl, Olympics, I.F.O.C.E. Nathan’s International July Fourth Hot Dog Eating Contest), once a city/country is named as host of an event, concerns immediately are raised over the likely invasion of prostitutes to the locale.
South Africa is not any different. With the World Cup set to begin in June and the eyes of the world upon the nation, officials with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime are incredibly concerned about the estimated 40,000 prostitutes set to invade the country.
40,000. Hoo boy, that’s a whole lot of hookers.
So, let me get this straight: South Africa is expecting about 450,000 people to visit their country over the month-long World Cup and 40,000 are prostitutes? That means nearly 10% of the visitors will be workers in the sex trade. Holy moly.
South Africa, however, sees this as no laughing matter. In fact, to those in charge, this is a very serious issue. The effects could be downright terrifying development for the country and its citizens.
Davis Bayever, South Africa’s deputy chair of the country’s Central Drug Authority, said his government feared the large influx of sex workers and pledged an attempt to stem the tide.
“It’s horrific and very concerning,” Bayever said. “Money talks, and if you’re a sex worker then there is going to be money in South Africa in 2010.”
Bayever said that passport checks, screening, and profiling will take place at the borders to try and prevent illegal arrivals. He believes the women will be traveling from all over the world, especially Eastern Europe.
Yet no matter how hard the South Africans try to keep them out, the hookers will nevertheless be instinctively flocking to South Africa like the swallows of Capistrano.
40,000 prostitutes bound for South Africa for the 2010 World Cup, officials warn [New York Daily News]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona