Mar 6, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
Tommy Morrison, the former WBO heavyweight champion who is better known for his acting career – co-starring with Sylvester Stallone in Rocky V – and his controversial decision to continue boxing after being diagnosed as HIV-positive in 1996, was arrested Thursday in the parking lot outside of a health club in Wichita, Kansas on suspicion of marijuana possession.
And as it often goes in these sticky-icky situations, Morrison – not trying to be blunt, of course – maintains this is one big misunderstanding.
So put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Morrison, who was arrested after police discovered a pipe with marijuana residue in his car after someone called the cops due to suspicious activity of an individual in a vehicle outside of Snap (Snap!) Fitness, insists, as those arrested because of pot possession always do, that things are not as they seem. You see, he wasn’t even aware there was a pot pipe among the boxes and assorted items in his car that were in there because of his recent move to Kansas from Tennessee.
Via a report in The Kansas City Star:
Morrison said he often lifts weights at Snap Fitness, and he said he usually sits in his car before going inside, reading his Bible and meditating.
“I was just sitting there doing my normal routine, and I guess someone thought I looked suspicious and called the cops,” he said.
“They found an old pipe that had some residue on it or something,” he said.
“Someone in my position, I guess, has to be more careful. I wasn’t aware of what I had in that box. I wasn’t aware of anything illegal.”
Right. Morrison was released on a $4,000 bond and is due to appear in court on March 6th.
Certainly not helping Morrison in his claim that he is innocent, other than the fact that he cannot argue that there really was a weed pipe in his car, is his arrest in 1999 on drug and gun-related charges, a crime which ultimately led to Morrison spending 14 months in prison. I’m not saying that a person cannot ultimately be rehabilitated, but more often than not, a spade is a spade.
Also not helping is the fact that he is the grandnephew of John Wayne – Morrison’s boxing nickname was “The Duke” – and we all know what a notorious pothead Wayne was – it’s in his blood is what I’m implying here. That’s true about John Wayne, right?
Ex-boxing champ Tommy Morrison says drug arrest ‘not what it seems’ [Kansas City Star]
Ex-Boxer Morrison Arrested [CBS News]
Tommy Morrison “drugs, Prison, and despair, and Redemption [East Side Boxing]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million