Mar 6, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
It’s a bit of stretch, both in reaching for a reference as well as making-sensically (see? I am now making up words to justify the upcoming line), but I’m pretty confident it is safe to say that It’s Always Stupid in Clevelandelphia.
That’s right. For some unknown reason, the geniuses running the Cleveland Cavaliers and the folks operating Quicken Loans Arena thought it would be a swell idea to break the world record for most people wearing a Snuggie in one place at one time And on Friday night, they did it! Brilliant!
Sure, a ham-fisted, punch-yourself-in-the-face sort of brilliance, but still.
This is without a doubt the dumbest thing I have ever seen. And if you dear Out of Bounds readers have learned anything about me over the past couple of months, it’s that I know stupid.
First of all, was this already a world record or would the record have been broken if 10 people simply elected to clothe themselves in the dumbest product ever invented? Apparently, according to Danny Girton, Jr., an adjudicator executive with the Guinness Book of World Records, this is the first time that someone thought this was a great idea. By simply attempting it, the record was theirs.
I have already exhausted myself coming to terms with the inherent ridiculousness of this gambit, so I don’t have the energy to explain exactly what occurred. Take it away, MSNBC:
All fans in attendance had a Snuggie placed on their seats prior to the game. During a timeout in the first quarter, fans were asked to wear the wine-colored blankets with arms for five minutes as a clock on the scoreboard counted down. Most everyone complied — except for one fan wearing a Celtics jersey and another who thought ahead and brought a Pistons Snuggie. The rest of the sellout crowd of more than 20,000 turned the Q into a sea of red blankets, counting down the final seconds and cheering as the world record clock expired.
The criteria, according to the aforementioned Danny Girton, Jr., was that “[a]t least 250 people have to participate, they must all wear their own Snuggie, they need to wear it for five minutes and they all must be the same color.” So there you go. Good on you, Cleveland.
As a guy always looking for an angle, because of this story, I have come up with my latest stunt: I am going to attempt to break the world record for most mayonnaise jars filled with urine kept by one person. I already have six, I wonder if that is sufficient. Yeah, I suppose I should just continue filling them. Just to be safe.
Cleveland sets Snuggie world record [MSNBC]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona