Mar 5, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
First, the sad news; The California Redwoods are no more. I shall miss you, Redwoods, even though I never saw you play. The UFL team, which played two games at AT&T Park and one in San Jose during the league’s inaugural season, have packed its kicking tees and head coach Denny Green into a large duffel bag and moved to Sacramento, according to this press release which just arrived by owl. UFL Season II begins in October, with franchises in Hartford, CT; Las Vegas; Orlando and Sacramento, plus mystery expansion teams in two of the following cities: Omaha, San Antonio, Austin, Texas and Salt Lake City. The Sacramento ownership remains the same by the way: Paul Pelosi and Angelo Tsakopoulos … the former who is husband to the U.S. Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi. And you all know Sacramento mayor and former Phoenix Sun Kevin Johnson (pictured, with Green). Ha, what do you think of Sacramento now, Chris Webber?
From the UFL release:
Led by Head Coach and General Manager Dennis Green, the team will play at Hornet Stadium at Sacramento State when the new season kicks off in September.
The UFL is inviting football fans to suggest their favorite name for the Sacramento team and announced a ‘Your Town, Your Team, Your Name – You Make The Call’ promotion being run in association with Northern California’s Sports Station KHTK 1140 AM. Fans can visit the official league website http://www.UFL-Football.com to take part in the naming contest.
The UFL is making good on its original plan to places teams in cities where there is no NFL presence. And it makes me chuckle to see that even here, Los Angeles can’t seem get a pro football franchise.
A big Sacramento welcome to Denny Green. You want to crown ‘im, crown ‘im.
United Football League Brings Professional Football to Sacramento and Invites Fans to ‘Name Your Team [UFL-football.com]
Calling Sacramento Home [Dennis Green's blog]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement