Mar 5, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
So just how did porn star Samantha Ryan wind up with a courtside seat for the big Kansas-Kansas State game on Wednesday? We probably wouldn’t have known about it had she not tweeted all about the experience the next day, complete with pictures. And she used her porn name Twitter account, by the way. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Anyway, Kansas City Star columnist Jason Whitlock wasted no time getting to the bottom of this developing story. And that’s mainly because the KU coach who gave Ryan the ticket, Kurtis Townsend, called Whitlock with an explanation. Whitlock then talked with Ryan, making this my favorite column of 2010 so far.
“I met her on a flight from Los Angeles to Kansas City, back in December,” Townsend said. “I had no idea she was a porn star. She was Jamie (Doe), a former KU student who said she was a big fan of the Jayhawks. We talked on the flight. I was just being nice and gave her my card and told her to call me if she ever wanted to go to a game. I’ve never seen her since. I wouldn’t know what she looked like. I didn’t see her at the game.”
Damage control? Townsend is married, with four kids. Look, let’s just say it was an innocent meeting and leave it at that. Whitlock then talked with Ryan by phone. She grew up in Kansas City, and attended Kansas.
“I don’t tell people what I do,” she said. “My job never came up. We were on the same flight and talking. I was Jamie, not Samantha Ryan. I bleed Jayhawk spirit. When I was a student there, Jacque Vaughn and those guys went 34-2. I used to sleep outside for tickets like all the other students. I didn’t know any of the players, but my mom always wanted me to marry Raef LaFrentz. I’m a normal fan.
“When the flight was over, I asked (Townsend) if I could ever get tickets. He gave me his card. That was it.”
Why did she Twitter about it under her porn name?
“I don’t know,” said Ryan, a veteran of more than 150 adult films. “I have like 2,000 followers. I’m not famous or anything. I didn’t think it was a big deal.”
Well, it’s not; except that not many of the fans sitting courtside on Wednesday have been in the movie Miss Strap On.
There seems to be some controversy over this on message boards this morning, including that of the KC Star. Can’t see why. Can porn stars not attend basketball games? Unless Ms. Ryan is dusted for fingerprints and evidence of Townsend is found, everyone please chill.
How the porn star got her great KU tickets [Kansas City Star]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy