Mar 5, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
In case you’ve never seen a photo of a costumed seal being searched at the entrance of the closing ceremonies of the Winter Olympics, here you go. I’m not sure what security was expecting this seal might be packin’ … except a message of tolerance and love for all, and a wish for Canadians to stop the annual harp seal slaughter. Wouldn’t it have been ironic if there were some sort of trouble, and police had to beat the seal with their batons? Ha ha … sorry. Not funny. You’ll laugh, though, when you find out how this seal got a ticket to the closing ceremonies in the first place.
Would you believe it came from Pamela Anderson? From The PETA Files:
When you’re friends with Pamela Anderson, it seems like anything is possible … even snagging tickets to one of the hottest events in Canada.
After delivering our petition against the seal slaughter to Prime Minister Stephen Harper, the Dancing With the Stars beauty graciously gave her tickets for Sunday’s Olympic closing ceremony to PETA’s seal mascot. While Avril Lavigne, Alanis Morissette, and Neil Young performed, our seal was busy educating Olympic fans from across the globe about Canada’s upcoming seal slaughter.
If by “busy educating Olympic fans” you mean “sitting in the audience enjoying the show,” then okay.
Actually the seal was quite busy earlier that day, working as Pam’s sidekick. Here are the glorious photos.
And it warms my heart to know that a costumed PETA seal was able to see the Always Enjoyable Giant Inflatable Beaver live. I also kind of pity the poor sap who thought he’d be sitting next to Pamela Anderson, but instead was stuck next to a guy in a sweaty seal suit.
Surprise visitor at Olympic closing ceremony [The Peta Files]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found