Mar 3, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Planning a trip to South Africa for the World Cup? Chances are you’ve already made your hotel reservations, and secured your restaurant guides and sightseeing plans. But what about brothels? It can be such a hassle trying to find a decent bawdy house with reasonable rates while you’re overseas. But now you’re in luck, thanks to The Sowetan (a large South African English language newspaper). Their intrepid reporter visited several of the most well-known dens of iniquity and rated them all. So that you can make an informed decision!
A Sowetan investigation started in the city centre – at the Diplomat Hotel on the corner of Klein and Bree streets .
The tiles are dirty and there are beer bottles lying everywhere.
I paid R7 at the door and was told a beer costs R15. The sex workers charge R50 for “a round” and the same for a b******.
Each room has two beds and a mattress and doubles up as a kitchen. The girls rent out the rooms, with at least five sharing a room.
“It will be business as usual for us during the World Cup,” says one of them.
Then it was off to Hillbrow – to the Ambassador Hotel.
The sex workers are sitting around with open legs and smoking. For R15 you will get in but it felt like a huge rip-off. The beers cost the same and sex is R50. The rooms are not that bad.
A block away is the Hillbrow Inn.
After paying R15 at the door I was thoroughly searched before being allowed in.
The charges for beer and sex are standard.
Other than sex workers, the place has strippers. It was a sight to behold. Red-blooded men being called on to the stage to help strippers take off their underwear and have sex in full view of the patrons.
The DJ encouraged safe sex by providing condoms.
Lerato, a sex worker, told Sowetan she and her colleagues will charge R100 during the World Cup.
But for soccer fans on a shoe- string budget the Moulin Rouge on Hillbrow’s Claim Street will be the place to be. You can get in for R10, rent a room for R145 a day and have sex for R70 a round or R300 for the night.
Up the road is the Summit Club, a classy joint with lavish rooms and a great view of Joburg.
Because when visiting one of these places, that’s what you really want most: a great view of Joburg.
(Thanks to Deuce of Davenport for the tip. Sorry we can’t link to you because of the photo you ran with this. But I enjoyed it).
Sex workers up for World Cup – Soccer visitors will be spoilt for choice in Johannesburg [The Sowetan]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness