Mar 3, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
We heard from Tiger Woods’ high school girlfriend, Dina Parr, back in December. Now his college girlfriend has stepped forward to tell the world what their relationship was like. Tiger Woods, this is your life! Anyone getthat reference? Hello? Damn it. Anyway, Irene Folstrom claims to be Tiger’s girlfriend from his days at Stanford, and has written a piece for Golf.com in support of Woods. Refreshing, ain’t it? Excerpts:
Like everyone else, I was shocked by the revelations about his infidelities. The Tiger I knew was loyal, devoted and self-controlled. I’m not naive, but I can say with certainty that he was faithful during the time we dated. The speculation that he’s being treated for sex addiction is surprising because we enjoyed a normal sexual relationship.
I don’t have any insight into how he led such a double life. I will say that Tiger had an ability to shut things out and compartmentalize his emotions. Even back then he felt enormous pressure to be Tiger Woods. Maybe this was his form of escape.”
I have so many fond memories of our time together. At that age Tiger had an amazing metabolism so we spent a lot of time eating. Our favorite restaurant was a Chinese joint in Mountain View; the guys there must have been golf fans because they always gave us free desserts, which was a big deal to us.
It seems that Tiger never really tired of the free desserts.
Why did Folstrom wait until now to speak? Maybe she wants her slice of fame, just like so many others in this mess. Or maybe she wanted to stay in the background, but just got tired of an old friend being kicked around. She doesn’t appear to be after money or celebrity of any kind. Anyway, since I’m near Mountain View right now, I’m going to try and find that Chinese place.
Tiger’s college girlfriend speaks out [Golf.com]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte