Mar 2, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Behold the latest marketing protest from the folks at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. It doesn’t do a lot for me, but my dog jumped the fence and just tried to annex the Sudetenland. The ad, found on PETA’s web site, is another jab at Westminster Kennel Club-type dog shows; and some might consider it very creative. But what the Dog Fuhrer doesn’t seem to realize is that you can’t fight a war on three fronts: You’ve got Tiger Woods’ attorneys attacking from the west, the Canadians in the north, and now this … plus someone’s been in the garbage again. Bad Hitler! Bad!
PETA UK rolled out this ad just in time for the Crufts Dog Show — the biggest dog show in Britain — which, says PETA, encourages the belief that some breeds of dogs are superior to others. In other words, dog racism. From The PETA Files:
About one in four pedigree dogs is born with painful and life-threatening genetic defects–including hypothyroidism, demodectic mange, epilepsy, cataracts, allergies, chronic ear infections, and hip dysplasia–all of which have been handed down through generations of inbreeding and selective breeding. And pedigree dogs aren’t the only animals who suffer because of the breeding industry. Every time a dog is purchased from a breeder, another who has been awaiting adoption in an animal shelter, longing for a home, dies. It’s a fact: Breeding purebreds in a world in which millions of animals are homeless is pure heartlessness.
PETA made headlines last month when two members crashed the Westminster Dog Show in New York and brandished anti-breeders signs from the middle of the show area, which drew low marks from the judges and resulted in arrest. But that did little to stop its full-court press on the worldwide dog breeding culture, it seems.
One day, the dogs themselves will rise up, defeat humans and decide their own future. Lord only hopes they are merciful overlords.
Now if someone would put together one of those Hitler-in-the-bunker mashups for this subject, we’d have comedy gold.
PETA U.K.’s ‘Dog’ged Fight Against Racism [The Peta Files]
PETA stories on Out of Bounds …
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy