Mar 1, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
Just as Al Michaels will always have “Do you believe in miracles?” as his signature broadcasting moment, now Bob Costas has a quote to cement his place in Winter Olympics lore. Like the first moon landing and Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show, it shall ever remain as a television moment that defined a generation. As you’re no doubt aware by now, here’s Costas, describing one of the displays during the games’ closing ceremonies on Sunday night:
“And now the always enjoyable giant inflatable beaver.”
And since this is the age of instant social networking, the the giant inflatable beaver has already attained legendary status. His own Facebook page. Countess ackowledgments on message boards. And currently the No. 10 trending subject on Twitter. There is no stopping him.
Here’s the video of Costas’ call.
Mere moments after its appearance, giant inflatable beaver already had a Facebook page, currently closing in on 600 fans. Photos such as this one are turning up on various sports message boards.
Twitter, of course, is pulsing with GIB references this morning:
* RT @SineadMcEneaney: @efdel It’s a giant inflatable beaver. I need a clearer pic, though: I’m unhappy at the fuzziness of my beaver.
* So skipping the Closing Ceremony was the biggest mistake of my life? Giant Inflatable Beaver, forgive me. — bondfool
RT @RealJeffreyRoss: A giant inflatable beaver? Sorry, but Canadian culture is an oxymoron.
Goal for Monday: Find giant inflatable beaver. Purchase.
@EricStangel nuthin says Canada like a giant inflatable beaver.
@caltechgirl I’m going to find a way to say “giant inflatable beaver” at work today. Tomorrow? The unemployment line.
Oh Lord. “The Marriage Ref” would be better if the Giant Inflatable Beaver were playing the title character. — lurnie1
RT @andy_fuller: Ok…did I just see a giant inflatable beaver, moose, some bizarre Mountie-Rockette troupe, and a redhead strapped to a giant maple leaf?
Yes, Andy. yes you did.
Oh no! The people-sized hamster balls are rolling dangerously close to the giant inflatable beaver! Run for your lives!
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found