Feb 28, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
If this whole running for president gig doesn’t work out for Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty, he just might have a future writing jokes for Leno.
While speaking to a crowd of comedy-hungry Missouri republicans about customized cellular phone plans, Pawlenty once again reached into his bag of topical comedy and utilized Tiger Woods as the basis for his attempt to reach his audience. Hey, it’s a proven schtick at this point.
After poking fun at political opponents Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden during his customized cell phone plan bit, Pawlenty aimed his comedic sights at Tiger:
He went on: “And then of course there’s the no roaming charges for Tiger Woods,” Pawlenty said — adding his own groans to those of the crowd. “That’s a little out of bounds. I’m teasing, I’m teasing.”
BAM! Have ya, have ya seen this guy? He’s like a barrel of monkeys this guy! However, I do have one criticism: if I have learned one thing from watching great comedians like Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia honing their craft is you have to remain committed to your jokes. Coming out with the “I’m teasing, I’m teasing” line leaves the crowd questioning your belief in your material.
This wasn’t the first time Pawlenty incorporated Woods into his routine. Last week, the Minnesota governor managed to reference Elin’s alleged smashing of the SUV with a 9-iron into a speech regarding how to change government:
“I think we can learn a lot from that situation, not from Tiger, but from his wife. She said, ‘I’ve had enough.’ She said, ‘No more.’ I think we should take a page out of her playbook and take a nine iron and smash the window out of big government. We’ve had enough.”
More power to him, but I’m not sure Pawlenty has the comedic chops to mine the Tiger Woods situation all the way to the White House. Hopefully, for Pawlenty’s sake (as well as his aspirations for being America’s stand-up president), some other professional athlete begins to indiscriminately bang cocktail waitresses and Perkins employees.
It’s for the good of the nation, people.
In Missouri, Pawlenty earns cheers and uses another Tiger Woods joke [Star Tribune]
Smashing: Minnesota Gov. makes Elin golf club reference [Out of Bounds]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California