Albert Pujols isn't a big fan of one of his nicknames

Feb 28, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT

albert pujols.jpgSt. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols has been known by many nicknames throughout his storied career: Prince Albert, Phat Albert, The Machine, El Hombre, Poo Holes (okay, maybe not so much with that one), among others.
But Pujols is not a big fan of the “El Hombre” moniker. In fact, he has requested that people refrain from referring to him with that title.
Why, you ask? No, it’s not because he hates the Spanish language, at least that’s not the reason he gave, although I have my suspicions. Nope, Pujols thinks it’s disrespectful to Cardinals legend, Stan “The Man” Musial.

“I don’t want to be called that,” Pujols said. “There is one man that gets that respect, and that’s Stan Musial. He’s the Man. He’s the Man in St. Louis. And I know ‘El Hombre’ means ‘The Man’ in Spanish. But Stan is The Man. You can call me whatever else you want, but just don’t call me El Hombre.”

I appreciate how he explains that he knows what “El Hombre” means in Spanish, which is encouraging, considering Pujols didn’t move to the United States from the Dominican Republic until he was 16. Imagine how difficult his childhood would have been had he not spoke Spanish!
Although there are many other options available when it comes to nicknames for Pujols, “El Hombre” is the only one that properly pays homage to his Hispanic heritage. With that said (actually typed, I guess), I believe it is up to us to come up with a suitable Spanish nickname for the future Hall of Famer. As a fluent Spanish speaker, here are a few ideas, just off the top of my head:
• El Chalupa
• Pujols Belgrande
• El Gordita
• Pujols & Cheese
Oh, and by “fluent Spanish speaker,” I mean that I have no trouble ordering off the Taco Bell menu, usually without incident. Probably should have mentioned that first.
Come to think of it, maybe those nicknames are not appropriate. Actually, they are completely inappropriate, perhaps offensive as well.
Okay, okay, okay, I’m sorry about that transgression. Allow me to make amends…how does “El Guapo” sound?
Yeah, that’s nice.
***
Albert Pujols: Not “El Hombre” [Bernie's Five Minutes]

1. michael - Feb 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM

What a foolish bit of crap. I won’t be getting that few moments of my life back. You are a racist sir. And add racist and poor unamusing writer together and thats why you are stuck where you are. Please get a clue.

2. Fast Eddy - Feb 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM

You know, I am not a real fan of the political corectness going around, however, I have to agree with Michael here. You are about as dumb as a box of rocks, because you don’t know what class is even when you see it. For some reason, you have to make a joke about a classy guy who will not take credit for someone elses fame just because he can. Sir Albert is the best name I can come up with as he deserves the title. Why would you want to trivialize a guy with this much respect for the game and others who have played? You are just a NUT!

3. fifolo - Feb 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Even by internet standards, this is an idiotic post by an idiot blogger. NBC should revoke whatever posting rights you have on this backwater blog.

4. TheWizard - Feb 28, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Well, the comments section has a unanimous feel to it, doesn’t it?

5. JohnnySaysSo - Feb 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Wow! In an age when people care so little for the history of the game, you might think Sir Albert would be applauded. Also, I love the part where you actually insinuate he’s lying. Why would he be lying? You’re guess. Now, here’s my guess.
    You wrote this load o’crap as devicivley as possible to get a rise out of people. It’s, say, an inside joke? Maybe really inside, like only funny to you. For future reference, let me point out something. The forced humor isn’t funny.
    Taco Bell Spanish … you slay me! Clever, clever man. And Poo Holes … funny word. What WIT! Oh, and the “actually typed, I guess” HAHAHAHAHA. It’s funny because … you didn’t actually audibilize it. Oh, stop it! My stomach’s about to burst.
    Hopefully, this is the joke: you wrote it as devicively AND poorly as possible to get a rise out of people. If this isn’t the case, however, you have only managed to compose a very stupid, very bad article.

6. BH - Mar 1, 2010 at 12:21 AM

he should be just called the Machine…nothing else…and you people all waste your time critisizing a blogger….GET A LIFE

7. Libservative - Mar 1, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Congratulations on reaching a new low even for the great pea-brained unwashed otherwise known as journalists.

8. Judy - Mar 1, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Why would you even write this? Albert is paying respect to one of the greats of baseball. What is wrong with that? I don’t think he needs a nickname. His name says it all

9. Reuben Varesko - Mar 1, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Good Post. I searched the whole cyberspace for informations like u shared it on this post “Albert Pujols isn’t a big fan of one of his nicknames – Out of Bounds – NBC Sports”. Thx a lot, it helped me out.

10. CardsFan4Life - Mar 1, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Pujols was trying to respect a baseball/Cardinal great, but instead you make it look trivial and poke fun at the best player in baseball? Give me a break, just a daily reminder on why I need to find a different news provider.
    The guy is incredibly humble, and no matter how good he gets, he always is ready to talk about someone he looks up to. Did your education in journalism teach you how to be so sarcastic and disrespectful? Or did you pick up this trash after-words?

11. njt221 - Mar 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM