Feb 25, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
Jose Canseco: About this far from wearing a hairnet and working in a deli. If you thought that Canseco’s MMA debut was the first time that he’s been grounded and pounded lately, think again. According to the Tax Watchdog column in the Detroit News, the reason that the 45-year-old ex-Oakland A’s steroid aficionado is pursuing an MMA career in the first place is that he needs the cash. Canseco, says the News, owes $320,000 in taxes.
According to the paper, Canseco has had four liens against him filed since July 2008, including one as recently as Jan. 7, 2010. Canseco owes nearly $200,000 to the state of California and $121,000 to the IRS.
Video of Canseco’s thrilling 77-second MMA debut following the jump.
Sorry. Here’s the real video:
“Moe, Larry, cheese!”
Canseco’s debut above, against Choi Hong-man in the Super Hulk Tournament during Dream.9 at Yokohama Arena Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan in May of 2009, lasted a whirlwind 77 seconds. Canseco:
“I hurt my knee back home real bad but I didn’t want to disappoint the fans,” he told reporters. “I knew that at some point during the fight my knee was going to give out and once I was down I knew I wasn’t going to get up. He’s just too heavy to move.”
Now Caseco is lobbying to get into the ring with Herschel Walker, 47, who won his MMA Strikeforce debut in January. Strikeforce, however, is showing no interest.
Jose Canseco’s Likely Motive for MMA? He Owes $320,000 in Taxes [MMA Fighting]
Slugger Jose Canseco strikes out with tax agencies [Detroit News]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: Boychuk gives Bruins lead in Game 2
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'