Feb 25, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
On Tuesday we brought you the news that Ole Miss was voting on whether or not to bring in a new mascot to replace Colonel Reb, who was deposed in a bloodless coup in 2003. The vote was overwhelmingly yes, with approximately 75 percent of the student body opting for a new, on-field costumed mascot. Now the task is to choose one. As with all such decisions, a people’s choice soon emerges, and Ole Miss is no different (when Stanford decided to ditch the Indians as their nickname, the popular replacement among the student body was Thunder Chickens).
In this case, however, a groundswell of support has arisen for an even more unlikely candidate: Admiral Ackbar, of Return of the Jedi fame. Many Bothans died bringing me this information.
How popular is this campaign at Ole Miss? Admiral Ackbar has his own web page, and Twitter account and Facebook page. While he has about as much chance of winning as Ron Paul, one never knows. If Disney can work out a deal to allow Donald Duck’s image to be used as Oregon’s mascot, then might not George Lucas relent and let loose Admiral Ackbar on the college sports scene?
Help us, Obi Wan Kenobi. You’re our only hope.
The Admiral Ackbar candidacy first started gaining steam when an Associated Press story hit several newspapers on Wednesday, including the Washington Post and the New York Times. TMZ featured it on its TV show, and it was mentioned on ESPN’s Around the Horn.
Of course, several Ole Miss factions are still upset at losing Colonel Reb, and are mounting a similar campaign to bring him back. Begun, the Mascot Wars have.
Admiral Ackbar, Ole Miss Mascot? Star Wars A ‘Heavy Favorite’ [Huffington Post]
Admiral Ackbar Mounting Glorious Campaign To Become New Ole Miss Mascot [Geekosystem]
Admiral Ackbar as Ole Miss Mascot? ‘It’s a Trap!’ [New York Times]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Is Cabrera one of the greatest of all time?
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller