Feb 25, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Political tempest in Sacramento! Prepare for rough seas! Mayday! Our story so far: Sacramento Bee sports columnist Ailene Voisin wrote an article this morning criticizing Kings’ head coach Paul Westphal for benching Spencer Hawes. In it, she managed to work in a zinger on Rush Limbaugh, which pissed off about a zillion people. Here’s the context: Voisin wrote that Westphal’s punishment of Hawes was unfair, and that the coach’s judgment may have been affected by his wife’s health problems. Here’s the passage that’s currently under fire:
When one considers that Hawes was one of three Kings questioning Westphal’s frequent substitutions and fluid lineups — Tyreke Evans and Sean May were the others — the punishment seems excessive, an overreaction to remarks that were far from inflammatory.
And this from an unconventional thinker who considers right-wing blowhard Rush Limbaugh one of his friends?
Fortunately, Limbaugh’s fans are a peaceful and understanding lot, who are willing to overlook something like this. From the Bee comments section:
* If Aileen wasn’t against all right wing people,do you think she would even have a job! She works for the Sacramento Bee where being a far left liberal is a pre-reckwaset! — jbhunt
* Ailene Voisin is arguably the worst sports writer in the history of sports writers. How is she still on the Bee’s payroll? — janders23
* Ailene-You’re such a disappointment! Rush had nothing to do with the story-it was Westphal’s coaching decision, not Limbaugh’s! Blowhard sounds so rash & degrading! Have you ever slid in a slam at left-wingers like Al Franken or Bill Maher in your stories? No, you’re toooo liberal to do that! Stick to sports!!! — rkgip
* Ailene, believe it or not, some of us who read this POS newspapers are Rush fans. And I would consider YOU and the rest of your commie cabal here at the Bee a bunch of left-leaning wing-nut libs “blowhards.” — tco
* so now PW is at fault for having certain people as his friends and that is the reason for a basketball coaching mistake? Okay so PW would win more games if he wasn’t friends with Limbaugh? How utterly inane. — humor666
It goes on like that. Of course, some of the commenters are in agreement with Voisin, and some, strangely, only want to talk about the Kings. As for Limbaugh being a blowhard, all I’ll say is that I tried for about an hour to find a photo of him without his mouth open for this post, but failed.
Trying times for Kings coach [Sacramento Bee]
NBA Writer Slights Coach By Noting ‘blowhard’ Limbaugh [Sports by Brooks]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead