Feb 23, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
At some point everyone experiences the sensation of being on fire. I call it a person’s Pepsi Moment, named after the infamous incident in which Michael Jackson’s hair caught on fire while filming a Pepsi commercial. Admit it; at some point in your life, small portions of you have been aflame. My Pepsi moment came in 1996, when a member of the Oakland A’s — a pitcher, who will remain nameless — set one of my shoelaces on fire. I was covering an A’s game in my former life as a newspaper sports features reporter, and was made the butt of his little prank. Pro wrestler The Undertaker, unfortunately, suffered a fiery mishap which was a little more serious; he suffered minor burns to the chest during a pyrotechnics mishap in St. Louis on Sunday.
Check out the video following the jump.
World Wrestling Entertainment spokesman Robert Zimmerman says the wrestler, whose real name is Mark Calaway, is fine. In fact, he wrestled after being burned Sunday night and was back in the ring for WWE’s “Raw” show on Monday.
The Undertaker enters the ring as fireballs explode. Zimmerman says there apparently was a timing mistake Sunday and the wrestler’s jacket caught fire.
He threw down the jacket and was evaluated by a ringside physician. Zimmerman says The Undertaker’s chest was red as if he had gotten a sunburn but he was cleared to wrestle.
The incident occurred during his ring entrance at Sunday’s Elimination Chamber PPV in St. Louis.
A witness reports to PWTorch.com:
Torch reader Matt Frazier was live in St. Louis and reports: “I was at the event and during Undertaker’s elaborate into, a pyro cannon misfired catching his hat and coat on fire. He quickly threw off his gear and ran down the ramp. Once inside the Chamber, he was given water to help cool his hands. After the event, he was very animated, gesturing at the pyrotechnics booth as he walked to the back. I’m sure someone got an earful.”
Speaking of fire, here’s the original EA Dante’s Inferno commercial, before they ruined it to make it suitable to air during the Super Bowl.
Pro wrestler gets singed during pyrotechnics mishap in St. Louis but avoids serious injury [Los Angeles Times]
Pro wrestler singed by pyrotechnics mishap [MSNBC]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful