Feb 23, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
As any good attorney will tell you, it’s always problematic to sue a sports mascot. You think you have your case in the bag, and then all of a sudden he takes the stand; his lovable antics winning over both judge and jury. But John Coomer isn’t afraid, and he’s taking the Kansas City Royals’ mascot, Sluggerrr, to the mat. Coomer claims that he was struck in the eye by a hot dog that was hurled by Sluggerrr in a Sept., 2009 game in Kansas City. According to TMZ, the lawsuit was filed in Jackson County court and claims that Sluggerrr was firing hot dogs into the crowd via his air gun, but then began chucking wieners into the crowd by hand.
Coomer claims Sluggerrr “lost control of his throw or was reckless with his throw, and threw the hotdog directly into the Plaintiff,” TMZ reported.
The alleged reckless throw hit Coomer in his left eye, “leaving him with a detached retina and the development of cataracts.”
From the Back Porch blog:
Kansas City Royals’ fan John Coomer is suing the Royals for $25,000 following an incident involving a projectile wiener. Coomer was apparently caught off guard by the flying pork on Sept. 8 and blames it for his detached retina and developing cataracts. Word has it the team mascot Sluggerrr was behind the incident, although the team denies this being the reason for his replacement by a new large lion mascot.
I believe there is a stipulation on he back of each MLB ticket that protects the home team from liability due to injuries sustained from foul balls, broken bats and errant wieners. Read the fine print, Coomer.
At any rate, the Royals have replaced their popular Hot Dog Derby with three bagels wearing protective helmets and riding tricycles.
Royals fan assaulted by wiener [The Back Porch]
MLB Mascot Accused of Gruesome Wiener Attack [TMZ]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3