Feb 23, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
Usually when I see a headline that reads “Naked sled race draws 14,000,” it makes me happy for the rest of the afternoon. But it always pays to read the entire story. Near the end of the account on the German news site The Local:
“We had a lot of luck with the weather,” said André Gierke from the radio station 89.0 RTL. “A proper winter for naked sledging.”
The 26-year-old Christian Schmidt from Blankenburg in Saxony-Anhalt won the race, but the crowd saved much of its applause for a 70-year-old pensioner who spontaneously stripped down to sledge the hill on his own.
Yech. Link to video following the jump.
“The traffic is huge problem for us,” complained Braunlage’s police chief Michael Huth.
But the logistical challenges didn’t keep around 30 contestants from stripping down to their panties or briefs and racing the 100-metre course on little red and black sledges. Many of the tanned racers looked more ready for the beach than the piste, as some even bared what had to be rather chilly nipple rings.
Not being certain what a piste is, and rarely being naked, I cannot relate. But I would vote for this as an Olympic sport, in case anyone asks. Also, the word “naked” must have a different meaning in Europe than it does here. According to this BBC account (including SFW video), the contestants were in their underwear.
Winter Olympics petition denied.
Naked sled race draws 14,000 [The Local]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found