Feb 23, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
So it’s open season on Johnny Weir in Vancouver, I guess: Step right up and take your homophobic shots. First it was Australia making with the gay jokes, and now it’s France … France!, lashing out. Actually, the two broadcasters who made with the latest gay snickerfest about Weir are French-speaking Canadians, who have no business questioning anyone’s masculinity. One of them even suggested that Weir should take a gender test, which is as ugly as it gets. Or I could say it really crosses the Maginot Line of common sense and decency. Let’s go with that.
The Quebec Gay and Lesbian Council has demanded a public apology from French-language broadcaster RDS after one commentator said Weir hurts figure skating’s image and another said Weir should be made to take a gender test. The remarks were “outrageous” and “homophobic,” CQGL said in a statement on its Web site.
Video following the jump.
The broadcasters are Claude Mailhot and Alain Goldberg of the RDS network. Excerpts:
“They think all the boys that skate will end up like him.”
“We should make him pass a gender test at this point.”
Dorothy Hamill, covering the games for Access Hollywood, got Weir’s reaction during their interview today.
“Every little boy should be so lucky as to turn into me,” Weir told Hamill. “And that’s all I have to say about that.”
Weir placed sixth in last week’s long form program. Had he placed fifth, he would have skated to Lady Gaga’s Poker Face in the post-competition gala this Saturday. Gaga had promised Weir she would attend.
Last week it was Australian broadcsters Eddie McGuire and Mick Molloy who had a go at the figure skaters, as they say. Comments included describing routines as ‘Brokeback Mountain’ exercises
As they watched a procession of skaters appear in ever more outrageous outfits, Molloy remarked: ‘They don’t leave anything in the locker room these blokes, do they?’
To which McGuire responded: ‘They don’t leave anything in the closet either, do they?’
He later made a joke out of his apology by saying: “I suggested that there was a disaster happening at the ice skating rink because organizers had found out one of the male ice dancers wasn’t gay. And I apologize for that really sincerely.”
But as Johnny Weir then took to the ice, he quipped: “But it definitely wasn’t this guy.”
Nice, Australia. In light of that, I leave you with this limerick:
In Australia and New Zealand too
Where the girls are remarkably few
Mick Molloy has no doubt
That he’ll never strike out
With a sheep or a stray kangaroo
French broadcasters under fire for comments about Weir, skating [CNN]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy