Feb 22, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
On Thursday we brought you the story of Epic Beard Man, an Oakland A’s fan whose two-fisted exploits on an Oakland transit bus has made him an overnight Internet sensation. His real name and age varies according to what mood he’s in; but the best guess is that it’s Thomas Bruso, 64, a Vietnam veteran and native of Chicago. Earlier this month Bruso clobbered a much younger passenger who had threatened him and stolen his shopping bag while riding the bus, all of which was recorded by a passenger and slapped up on YouTube. That made Bruso a local hero of sorts — he even has his own fan web site — and his legend continues to grow. Now he’s speaking out for the first time, and his version of the story is, well, epic.
Video following the jump.
KRON-4 TV caught up with Epic Beard Man at a coffee shop in Oakland(?). NSFW language throughout both videos:
Many great quotes and a wide range of emotions here. Two of my favorites: “I have a shank. I’m 67, I’m a senior, so I’m allowed to carry a weapon.” And, “I was just happy to ride in the front of a squad car instead of the back.”
The original incident:
The legend lives on.
Presenting the legend of Epic Beard Man [Out of Bounds]
Epic Beard Man’s doodles [Holy Taco]
AC Transit Says Bus Driver Followed Protocol During Fight on Bus in Oakland [KRON-4]
Epic Beard Man — Why It’s the Fastest Public Fight Meme Yet [Urlesque]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found